Thursday, October 7, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things: H.R. Giger, Part II of II

And now I'm back again for the second half of the H.R. Giger post I started this morning. If you somehow managed to miss that entry, just scroll down a tiny bit. I started uploading Giger images this morning, but Blogger was misbehaving and I had to quit and go to work. Fortunately, the pipeline seems to be flowing more smoothly now....Sorry, no, that wasn't meant to be a pun. But hey, it works! And anyway, here are the rest of the images I wanted to share with you.



I'm throwing in this last picture just to mess with your head. Did you know H. R. Giger did some illustrations based on The Lord of the Rings? I certainly didn't, not until I started investigating those links I mentioned in my earlier post. Yep, there are several Giger pictures titled Mordor, and then there's this (and one other, much less interesting) painting titled, simply, The Lord of the Rings. I shudder to think what, in LotR, could possibly have inspired Giger to paint this. Hopefully Professor Tolkien never had to see this painting before he died, because it would surely have sent him to his death - and kept him from ever resting in peace!

But if you really want to give yourself a mind trip, think about this. Giger is famous, in part, as the concept artist behind Alien. He's also known to some as the would-be concept artist of an early, aborted effort at a Dune movie. So now ask yourself, what would the LotR movies look like, if he'd designed them?

No comments: