Friday, May 3, 2013

freeze, unfreeze

Janelle Monae has just released a new video that will have all the statue fetishists (including me) going crazy. It reminds me a lot of an old Wonder Woman episode - I bet a lot of you know which one I mean before I've even reached the end of this sentence - where the villain puts people into suspended animation, pretends they're sculptures, and sets them in museums to "unfreeze" later and steal things. Of course, he eventually tries to do the same with Wonder Woman. You can find clips on YouTube if you're so inclined.

Anyway, another great thing about this video is how Janelle comes oh so close to formally outing herself. There's one moment in particular with Erykah Badu where I was almost panting for them to kiss. Dammit, they didn't. But anyway, the song has some great lyrics about the people who try to oppress us. A sampling below, and then the video.

Hey brother can you save my soul from the devil?
Say is it weird to like the way she wear her tights?
And is it rude to wear my shades?
Am I a freak because I love watching Mary? (Maybe)

Hey sister am I good enough for your heaven?
Say will your God accept me in my black and white?
Will he approve the way I'm made?
Or should I reprogram the programming and get down?

Even if it makes others uncomfortable
I wanna love who I am
Even if it makes other uncomfortable
I will love who I am


No comments: