Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Good squick vs. bad squick

Last night I received an e-mail from that author I've been hinting about, telling me she'd just sent her final draft off to Simon; so look for my recommendation in a late Sunday blog entry. In the meantime, I'm still thinking about a question I raised with her in my reply. I know that squick is supposed to be a bad thing, something that turns you off because it's just so squirmy/icky that it makes you want to run away from it. But then again, there are certain things that appear in various EMC stories - mine included, of course - that are both squirmy/icky and at least intended to be hot. Thus, Octopus Vulgaris or Arachnae, or The Icky-Squicky Spider. The horror is part of the turn-on, or at least that's the intent. You realize just how deeply your heroine is controlled when she revels in submission to something that should send her screaming.

I've never been sure if that's how most folks on the EMCSA see squick, or if that's just how I see it. In fact, I've never been sure it was wise of me to go with that name for the spider story (Yes, in case you haven't guessed, the second half of the title was mine; Tabico suggested the much more mainstream "Arachnae").

It seems to me that we ought to have separate names for icky squick and for yummy squick: "squick" vs. "squelch," or something like that. Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Squick is entirely subjective. There are people for whom the idea of mind control is squick (they don't come to emcsa therefore) While we enjoy it.

You're just seeing where you draw your line, and other people go past because their lines are different shapes than yours.

John Seavey said...

Except that I'd say she's interested in the ideas of stories that are right on that line, where they squick you out but are hot at the same time. (If I might be excused for putting words in your mouth, thrall.)

Unfortunately, I think the concept will have to be encapsulated by saying, "I was squicked, but it was a good squick," instead of adding a new term to the lexicon. It's clear enough as is, I think.

Erin said...

I've thought for a while now that a squick classification needs to be added to EMCSA. The SF (science fiction) tag covers part of the territory, but not enough. I wonder if Simon would be open to considering this option.

Squick, to me, is gross-kinky. Squick is that space where the reader is looking at a protagonist submitting to a giant spider, space slugs or a grotesque alien god and is aroused. The MC element is that wonderful element that makes it possible for the arousal to take place. Squick is the idea of a grotesque creature that is so powerful that it doesn't matter in the slightest that said beast is going to infect the protagonist and, say, try to take over the world.

Squelch, a good term btw, is that space where the reader has the instinctive reaction of "no way, no how, never in a million years." This is, I think, triggered by a given element or elements that cross the line. Mind control, no matter how well-written, will not be enough to eroticize this. For me, one of these elements is humiliation, something I cannot stomach. For others, it's the element of sex with a guy (cough, cough, no names mentioned).

Those are my thoughts, dear thrall. :)

Miss D Ember said...

I have often preferred 'squelch' to 'squick' in my own reading. To be honest, 'squick' also carries the notion that it is a horrible surprise that caught the reader in the midst of something they were enjoying.

I think a new term would suit better.

.-)
E