Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Para Luis

Not too long ago I heard an old '90's song on the radio, "Everything You Want," and it got me thinking. If you read the lyrics in full, you see that the band (Vertical Horizon) meant it to be about a woman who can't appreciate the man she's with because of old wounds. But I tend to focus on the chorus by itself, and to see a completely different message:

He's everything you want
He's everything you need
He's everything inside of you
That you wish you could be
He says all the right things
At exactly the right time
But he means nothing to you
And you don't know why

Back in my uptight twenties, when I was trying to be a good little fundamentalist and still thought I was straight, I dated an absolutely wonderful man named Luis who was everything I thought I wanted - but I just couldn't fall in love with him. I broke his heart, and I'm still sorry about that to this day.

So this is for Luis, even though I know the odds of his seeing it are practically nil. I hope that in the end, he found a woman who could give him all the love and appreciation he so richly deserved.

No comments: