Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Out-of-context follies

First, just a heads-up that this coming weekend, I hope to be able to share some work by a fantastic artist I just discovered. Not that she hasn't already been discovered by plenty of other people, but you know what I mean. ;-) Anyway, you're going to love all the sexy ladies, Cthulhian monstrosities, altered eyes, and general awesomeness on display; so watch this space.

In the meantime, I thought I'd offer up a little game I've been playing with myself, that some of you might like to try as well. Actually, it's a game Jukebox has played, too - to great effect - in Listen to the Music. It goes like this: Listen to the music on your stereo or mp3 player. No, really listen to it. But as you listen, chunk context out the window. Now see how many mind control references you come up with. Here are a few I've found in my own collection:

"I remember, I remember when I lost my mind/ There was something so pleasant about that place/ Even your emotions have an echo in so much space" --Gnarls Barkley, "Crazy"

"I feel like I've been run over by a truck/ I don't care much about anything/ So give me a ring/ And tell me to wake up and do anything" --Weezer, "Run Over by a Truck"

"There's someone in my head, and it's not me" --Pink Floyd, "Brain Damage"

"Chickety China, the Chinese chicken/ You have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin" and "I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve/ I have a history of losing my shirt" --Barenaked Ladies, "One Week"

"If you wanna kiss the sky/ Better learn how to kneel/ On your knees, boy!" --U2, "Mysterious Ways"

"You could have just propped me up on the table like a mannequin/ Or a cardboard stand-up and paint me (paint me)/ Any face that you wanted me/ To be seen." --Ben Folds

"Hey, hey, hey. What's in your head/ In your head/ Zombie, zombie, zombie?" --Cranberries

"Christian's lesson/ Is what he's been sold/ We are normal and self-controlled/ Remember to learn to forget/ Whiskey shots and cheap cigarettes" --Green Day, "Before the Lobotomy"

And isn't that last song title a perfect MC reference all by itself? So it's a lovely place to end this post. ;-)

2 comments:

Erin said...

I'm really looking forward to the artist's work this weekend. You had me a Cthulian. :D

Tabico said...

What I think is, I think this is a cunning ploy to suss out my musical tastes. Far too cunning to resist.

1) "Everyone has / Their own number / In the system that / We operate under" - Pet Shop Boys, "Integral"

2) "I'll try / To hold on tight tonight / Pink slip / Inviting me inside / Wanna burn skin / And brand what once was mine" - Silversun Pickups, "Panic Switch"

3) "It was the wicked and wild wind / Blew down the doors to let me in / Shattered windows and the sound of drums / People couldn't believe what I'd become" - Coldplay, "Viva La Vida"

Hrm this is an interesting game, or perhaps it's just me; between the lyrics and the mind control there are these stories - the decanted woman waking in an obedient future, the club grrl on whom only her Mistress has a tighter hold than the music, the good queen returned as an eager slave of a dark power.

Anywhoo. Fun! Thanks :)