Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Again, not what I expected to post today

I just read this excellent article on CNN about the reluctance of soccer (football, for Europeans) players to come out of the closet, and how one player who was forced out in 1990 eventually committed suicide because of the pressure and prejudice he faced. The article also includes video interviews with rugby player Gareth Thomas and cricketer Steven Davies, both of whom came out more recently. They both talk about their great sense of relief at being able to be themselves at last.

I know this is supposed to be a blog about fetishes, but I just can't keep stories like this to myself. There are so many young people, athletes and otherwise, who are afraid to share this essential part of themselves - often with good reason. And there are so many young people who can't hide their differences, and suffer the discrimination others avoid because they simply have no choice.

If my blog gives me any voice on this issue, any power to soften one person's heart or strengthen one person's nerve, then I'm going to take it. Whether you, my reader, identify as GLBT or not, please be vocal about this issue in your community. Please work for justice, and please support those who are fearful and persecuted in any way you can.

Thanks.

1 comment:

fembotheather said...

Hug of support (thanks for posting and using your voice this way)