Monday, July 21, 2008

Another Peek Beneath the Duct Tape: Mirrored in Your Eyes

SPOILER ALERT: Please don't read this blog entry until after you've finished the story. I'm going to discuss some important plot points here.

Okay, still with me? Well, "Mirrored in Your Eyes," as I mentioned several blog entries ago, is yet another of my dreams-turned-stories. This dream had a bit more plot to it than most of mine do, and I've stayed fairly true to that plot as I've fleshed it out into a story. Here's the gist of the dream, minus the bits where my conscious struggled with my unconscious mind over how things should go:

I was at a school, staring into a mirrored wall and wishing I could be MC'ed. Suddenly my pupils expanded and I spun off down the hall, marching toward some unknown, programmed destination. I was wearing a schoolgirl's plaid miniskirt with latex suspenders and nothing else. Soon I heard a piano playing, and I followed the music into a room with a bunch of schoolkids and a teacher or two, all of whom had gathered around a girl playing the piano. She looked just as I describe Marina in the story. The whole room fell back in alarm when I entered because they knew why I was there: to capture one of them and make him or her like me. The girl pulled out a stun gun and tried to shoot me, but I shot her first, then carried her off down the hall in a wheelbarrow. Eventually I came to the office, where the administrators strapped the girl to a table. I knew now that I would help pleasure her into slavery and afterwards be released, myself. Then I'd get to choose whether I wanted to be a Domme or a sub for life. The dream faded out at that point; but somewhere later in the night, still in a dreamlike state, I realized that not only did I want to be a sub, but I wanted that particular girl to be my Domme.

Karen is mostly me, with a few red herrings and a couple of in-jokes added for flavor. Her thoughts and actions are pretty much what I'd expect mine to be if I lived in a world like hers. Marina isn't based on anyone in particular (and to reiterate, I didn't borrow her first name from Marina St. Mark; I got if from a file at work), but I really do like her physical type. Fortunately, I have three adorable young coworkers of varying ethnicities who more or less fit the bill. No doubt they were one inspiration for my dream.

The corset karen wears in an early scene really exists; you can see it for yourself here. Isn't it gorgeous? I so want one. ;-) Marina's gown in that same scene is a confabulation of a lot of different costumes I've seen over the years. I suppose Moulin Rouge was probably the biggest inspiration there.

Sappho came late to the party, but was most welcome. I was thinking of ways to flesh out Marina and karen's relationship and decided that some poetry from the Mother of all Lesbians might be nice, so I googled her and was amazed to find several pieces that fit just perfectly into my story. If you're interested in reading more of Sappho's work, there are plenty of websites available; but I used this one and this one.

Marina's brainwashing scene was, in large part, scavenged from one of my oldest MC fantasies of all. I think I was about 11 when I first came up with the basic scenario of the girl strapped to the table, the will-wiping drug, the shrinking and expanding irises that signified her struggle, and the eventual turning of her eyes to silver. Of course, the three mocking Dommes were one mocking Dom back then; but the biggest difference was that in my old fantasy, the girl was faking her brainwashing with the help of the doctor (also just pretending to be brainwashed) and some Bene Gesserit-like body-control techniques. Do you sense that I was a bit conflicted over my fetish back then? Well, I think I've got that sorted out now. ;-)

And so on to the ending....I bet you were expecting something a little darker from me, eh? In fact, I actually counted on it to heighten the drama. Hey, if I wasn't notorious for nasty endings, you might never have had any doubts about whether or not Karen would get her Domme. I do hope, though, that I played up the mystery enough to keep new readers guessing. Anyway, as I've said before on the EMCSA and elsewhere, I do have my 'mantic side; and I felt such strong emotion for the olive-skinned girl from my dream that I couldn't have ended my story any other way.

Don't get too used to the nice thrall, though. My Muse hands me a semi-traditional happy ending every once in awhile, but Her gifts are much more likely to come bound in black.

1 comment:

Madam Kistulot said...

I absolutely adored this look beneath the duct tape - its the perfect "companion" to the story.

In no way would I want you to abandon the darker side most of your stories gleefully embrace, but this rather romantic piece was... amazing. Really. Thank you for the story, and the peek, both were lovely!