Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Another Peek Beneath the Duct Tape: Someday My Prince Will Come

SPOILER ALERT: This blog entry discusses critical plot points of a story that relies on surprise more than most of my stories tend to do. I wouldn't suggest reading it before you've read the story in question. But if you have....

Have you figured it out yet? The characters I was writing about in the snippet of personal fantasy posted last week are Queen Catherine and, well, basically me from Someday My Prince Will Come. Sure, I gave the thrall a different name for the EMCSA story, but who's kidding whom? It was me. It's always me. ;-)

Both story and snippet came from the same early period of my exploring lesbian MC. My first "official" object of lesbian lust was Catherine Zeta-Jones, who had yet to marry an old fart, have kids, and devolve into a winsome chick flicker. When I think about "Queen" Catherine, I'm thinking about the sinuous, flashing-eyed beauty I remember from Entrapment or The Mask of Zorro or even Chicago. But sadly, CZJ learned nothing from Angelina Jolie: you can be married and have kids and still set film stock on fire. Speaking of which, have you all seen Wanted? Mmmmmm. :-)

Anyway, back to the story. I came up with a handful of pseudo-realistic MC scenarios for me and Catherine (But sorry, no more private snippets - the rest are a little too private...not to mention unpolished). "Someday" started out that way and was fleshed out in part by my discovery, while searching for appropriate clothes in which to attire my characters, of a real-life Pervadise Island called Kink in the Caribbean (Note: the site now advertises far more than just the one island, but the island is still in there...somewhere).

I'd already latched onto the rejected boyfriend/would-be-hero theme, and it was easy to fit that into the story via the services of a couple of purely imaginary gay male friends. Not that I don't have real gay male friends, just not any that I think would appreciate being written into a story like "Someday." ;-P

I do love gay men, though; in fact, the most beautiful, passionate kiss I've ever seen on film was between two extremely attractive young males. The movie itself isn't a gay film; it's a road trip flick that takes a surprising turn at the climax, so I'll put the title in spoiler text between brackets - just highlight to read: [Y Tu Mama Tambien]. Anyway, it's an excellent film from start to finish, and I'd recommend it highly even if not for the incredible three-way that includes that kiss. Just be sure, if you want to see it for yourself, that you get the unrated version. The R-rated cut deletes almost the entire scene - including the kiss, which by itself, isn't even censor-worthy unless you're a homophobic old goat.

But here I go digressing again. Anyway, there's not much left to tell you about except the trouble I had trying to find out whether the official title of the song I chose as my title began "Someday" or "Some Day." Internet usage seemed pretty evenly divided between the two, and even the ex-English teacher in me couldn't figure it out. But it was too perfect a title to pass up, so in the end I basically flipped a mental coin. And there you go: "Someday My Prince Will Come."

Oh, and just a little FWIW: If you like seeing the "Hero Rides to the Rescue" meme turned hilariously on its head, you'll love Tabico's Electric Thimble Theater. It's one of my all-time favorite stories on the EMCSA.

No comments: