Tuesday, June 23, 2009

She bop, he bop, a-we bop....

So. In my continuing exploration of the 21st-century phenomenon known as mp3 downloads, I'm rediscovering the 20th-century music of my youth: eighties music.

Yes, yes, I know. It really is tragic. Especially how some songs that really were cool once upon a time now sound absolutely fucking awful. Case in point: "Electric Avenue."

On the other hand, some artists have held up surprisingly well, like (of all people) Billy Idol. Okay, honestly, I'm amazed old Billy's even still alive; but it just goes to show you...I don't know, something or other.

Then there's a third category of eighties songs: the ones that scream "eighties songs! eighties songs!" in 50-foot-high, neon green letters but still manage to make me smile and even, occasionally, bob my head and sing along.

Case in point: Cyndi Lauper's "She Bop." Now, I'm proud to say that as much of a goody-two-shoes as I was back in high school, at least I knew what this song was really about. After all, I was a budding English major. But I don't think I got the full hilarity of the lyrics (or, heaven help me, the screaming-eighties video) until I listened to it again this week.

So...do you know what "She Bop" is about? Well, if you don't, maybe these lyrics and screen grabs will help you out a little. };-D

Well, I see them every night in tight blue jeans
In the pages of a blue boy magazine
Hey I've been thinking of a new sensation
I'm picking up good vibrations
Oop - she bop




Do I wanna go out with a lion's roar
Huh, yea, I wanna go south n get me some more
Hey, they say that a stitch in time saves nine
They say I better stop or I'll go blind
Oop - she bop - she bop





She bop he bop a we bop
I bop you bop a they bop
Be bop be bop a lu she bop,
I hope he will understand






She bop he bop a we bop
I bop you bop a they bop
Be bop be bop a lu she bop,
Oh she do she bop






Hey, hey - they say I better get a chaperone
Because I can't stop messin' with the danger zone
No, I won't worry, and I won't fret
Ain't no law against it yet
Oop - she bop - she bop

She bop he bop we bop...



Now, don't tell me you're still lost! Sheesh, kids these days. Here, let granny help you out.

No comments: