Friday, July 24, 2015

Part 2 of my interview with Callidus

And here it is, folks: the conclusion to my epic live interview with Callidus.

We start out talking about MC (and the surprising lack thereof) in the various Marvel franchises. This section includes an impromptu visualization of a scene I'd like to have seen played out on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Listening to the audio again, I realize I actually left Callidus speechless for a couple of seconds. I'm proud of that. ;-) From there we move on to a debate about how to fit MC into the Matrix storyverse, we reminisce about the better plot for Alien 3 that we came up with together, and we gradually veer off into hilarious full-on geekery. I think you'll enjoy it all.


4 comments:

K said...

There is a bit of a precedent for the existence of mind control ,or at least manipulation, in the Matrix films. Second film there was a scene where some program ,who's name escapes me, makes a point about cause and effect with the indication that he altered a bit of code in a chocolate cake slice to cause some random woman to be in a position where he could have sex with her in the bathroom. It's a minor thing, but it does imply that some programs may have access to ways of manipulating a person's mind. Admittedly it could also have just been him implying he altered the code to make her respond to the cake like an aphrodisiac and was counting on his own abilities to get the woman in the bathroom, but it does set a bit of a precedent that is never fully extrapolated on.

thrall said...

Hmm, I don't remember that, so I don't entirely know how to respond. But did the altered code just cause the woman to change her physical location, or did it change her mind? Interesting bit of information, either way.

K said...

Well she went to the restroom after one bite of the cake. Of course the way the scene is shown implies that the cake was designed in such a way as to cause her to orgasm at the table. Plus the character's whole speech about how choice is an illusion between individuals with power and those without it are just forced to go along or some such thing implies him being able to have sex with her in the bathroom was the point of the cake. However as I said previously I can't say if it was a case of the code making her go to the restroom so he could meet her there for sex, or if it was just a case of the cake putting her in the mood and it just being his plan that she would go to the bathroom and get those results.

The whole scene is on youtube if you do a search for "Matrix Causality," though you will have to deal with the philosophical ramblings that the scene requires.

thrall said...

I'll have to pass on the YouTube video - no time! - but that does sound interesting. I've completely forgotten the scene, but I've semi-intentionally blocked out most of my memories of Matrix 2 and 3 anyway.