Sunday, November 30, 2008

Off and running

Well, folks, I'm pleased to announce that I finished the rough draft of "Ethna Redux" mere minutes ago and sent it off to three cheerful volunteers from the MC Garden (sara castle, robotunit8, and Lady K) for fact-checking all the details of Ireland and Irish mythology that my very American mind might have mangled. My plan at this point is to have the finished product ready for the December 14 EMCSA update.

I have also found some success in my quest for information about gay male sex, in preparation for writing that M/m superspy story I've been teasing you all with (BTW, in case you missed it, the final poll numbers came out almost identical in the "for" and "against" columns. That's good enough for me). I have a slash-loving friend who'd probably prefer to remain anonymous here, but who deserves my thanks for coming through for me in an entirely unexpected way. I hesitated to ask her advice at first, since from what I understand, slash is usually written by women who enjoy fantasizing about gay men rather than by gay men themselves. That, I thought, wouldn't do me any good at all. But this friend happened to have a link to a website of advice from an actual gay man about how to write realistic slash, and it's chock full of exactly the kind of details I need most. I doubt many of you out there are all that curious, but if you are, here's the link she gave me.

And as a special thanks to my friend, I'll be tucking her favorite slash pair into my story...but so subtly that only she'll see them for who they really are.

Cheers to all my secret and not-so-secret accomplices!

No comments: