Thursday, October 2, 2008

I really do seem to have a lot to say this week

I normally do two posts a week, sometimes three; but now it's two posts in one day. Short ones, though. And don't worry; I still plan to post my usual entry over the weekend.

It's just that I've continued to think about maps and stats and how much information to share with you. I want to protect my visitors' identities as much as I protect my own, so I never even considered using any of those map counters that identify visitors by city or - worse yet - IP addresses. Unfortunately, that didn't leave me much to choose from, so in the end I just gave up.

But I was looking over my stats at Stat Counter just now (You wouldn't believe how much data you can get by using them - and it's all free), and it occurred to me that I could share a couple of screen grabs that don't reveal too much information but are still quite interesting. So here's a whole-world view of the latest visitor map (only the last 500 hits or something like that). If you look closely, you can see that I now have two viewers in Iceland. For some reason I find that especially exciting. Iceland. Wow.



And now here's a breakdown of the number of hits I've had recently from each country. Again, this is only the most recent information. If you choose Stat Counter's "free" option, your data is a little limited. Not much, though. I definitely recommend it if you have a blog or website of your own.

No comments: