Sunday, September 27, 2009

Double Peek, Part Deux

Okay, so there's a little more to the story of how I developed Sucker Punch: a little more that's both personal and cringe-inducing, but in a more lighthearted way than what I revealed in the last post.

When I was a kid, one of my favorite Saturday morning shows was a superheroine puff piece called Electra-Woman and Dyna Girl. I'm sure some of you remember it, but if you're like me, your memories of the show are a lot better than the show itself. Believe me: I know, because I spent some time earlier today tracking down a clip from the episode that helped me develop "Sucker Punch." In it, sidekick Dyna Girl gets turned evil - and really revels in her own depravity.

I had intended to embed that clip in my Peek Beneath the Duct Tape below, but once I found it, I decided that it was just too awful to inflict on you. If you really want to experience the horror for yourself, you can find it on YouTube with very little effort; but I'll spare those of you who aren't into the "M" part of S&M and leave it off this blog.

On the other hand, I will share some other amusing tidbits I found during my search for that clip, like Cyndi Lauper singing the theme song while dressed as a slightly vampier version of a villain from the show:



And I'll also share the two halves of a 2001 pilot that didn't get picked up but absolutely should have: a starry-eyed college girl who was saved by Electra Woman as a kid tracks her down, only to find that her heroine has now become a boozy skank. It's much funnier than it sounds - and to my warped mind, it sounded pretty funny to begin with. Best lines:

Electra-Woman: Do you think your roommate would mind if I borrowed some of her underwear?
Judy II: Oh, I think she'd want you to keep them.

Here, have a look:





And now, for those of you who can't get enough of Electra-Woman and Dyna Girl (and/or who do have a masochistic streak) let's go back to the original show. In my adventures this morning, I discovered that almost every episode of the '70's show included some kind of mind control (No, I didn't watch them all, all over again; I just read some plot summaries. Stop giggling). Here are a couple of links to a couple of clips that are slightly less unwatchable than the "Evil Dyna Girl" episode:

Here's a scene, lovingly extended by someone who's obviously a fellow MC fetishist, of Electra-Woman being hypnotized.

And here's one of both gals getting hypnotized by a green-haired Electric Company reject.

2 comments:

RJ said...

Electra Woman & Dyna Girl bring back so many hot, cheesey memories. Thanks!

Unknown said...

That pilot is pretty cool. :-)