Saturday, December 20, 2008

A couple of things I find interesting

First is the picture at left, which I found on My Fetish Diary Blog a few days ago. Could this image be any more directly up my alley? On closer inspection, you can even see a glint of silver in the model's eyes.

Second, sad news from the entertainment world: Ellen Page's lesbian werewolf flick is now officially kaput. Not that it ever stood much chance of being made in the first place, but wow, wouldn't that have been cool? I was especially intrigued by the concept because, shortly before I came out to myself as a lesbian and for some time afterwards, I had several dreams about being a werewolf, myself. I know a good bit about dream analysis, and I interpreted those dreams of mine to be about my potentially dangerous secret self, the part I had to hide from the world, the primal part of me. As a matter of fact, a big step in the process of accepting my homosexuality involved some dreamwork on "embracing the beast" from another dream.

Also - and here I go, teasing you again - those older stories that I mentioned in my interview with Callidus, the ones I wrote under another name and which are still online, involved a) a heroine struggling to hide her true nature from an unaccepting world and b) another character who was a werewolf. All except the final story were written back when I thought I was straight; but that last one, in which the heroine and the werewolf hook up permanently, was written after my discovery.

Make of all that what you will.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if any of my other gay or bisexual readers have had their own werewolf dreams or fantasies. I don't know if this is a recurring theme for sexual minorities or just something my own subconscious has latched onto as a handy metaphor. Comments, anyone?

1 comment:

sara-c said...

This is a fascinating question (pun intended).

The appearance of Lycanthropes in dreams can be associated with both the hidden or darker portions of ones personality and as a sort of unconscious short-hand when ones intuition has been neglected.

Often, although it is perceived as a negative image, it has the potential to facilitate transformation, through integration and turning the intuition into something positive (as, one would suggest, in your case).

My shapeshifter fantasies tend to be a little more feline in nature (but I can definitely understand the allure of our Lupine cousins) ;)

Of course... when I first started reading about submission behaviour within packs, I remember it striking something of a chord.

*grin*