Sunday, October 18, 2009

Goodies *for* me, goodies *from* me

Let's start with the goodies for me, because they're really goodies for you, too. I found a couple of exciting new offerings on the EMCSA today: one from Jukebox and one from Lady K.

I'm so glad Jukebox has been branching out into longer works lately. His short pieces are like scrumptious bite-sized morsels, but a longer story from him is a three-course meal. It gives him time to develop the kinds of characters and situations that draw me in really deeply, time to set up the connections and call-backs that satisfy right down to my core. And the ending of Criminal was indeed deeply satisfying for me. It was exactly the ending I'd hoped for, but didn't dare hope for too much, because I felt sure I'd be disappointed. Nope. Good ol' Jukebox hit my subfetish button square and center with that one. :-D And everything he wrote leading up to that ending was just as much fun. There's a bit of hamminess in this story, but it's entirely deliberate; and it makes a lovely contrast with the stark/dark gray of Yelena's pre-Stradivarius existence. But that's all I really need to say about that story, I think. I'll leave you to discover the rest on your own.

So, then, on to Lady K. She told me some time ago that she was writing a novella-length prequel to The Anlorgash Incident, and I've been eagerly waiting to see it on the EMCSA. Fortunately, today marks the debut of the first two chapters of Ahn-L'or G'ash. They're short and sweet (well, squicky sweet), and Lady K doesn't waste any time putting her Lovecraftian lake monster onstage front and center. She's setting up some lovely serial recruitment opportunities here, and I can guess at least one person who's on the short list! This will be a fun series to watch develop, and since Lady K has already finished writing it, hoping for a new chapter each week might not be unrealistic of me.

But speaking of Lovecraftian lake monsters, I actually have something similar in mind for my upcoming "Union, Reunion." I'm reminded a little of what happened when I posted my Avatar the same week Tabico finished Pea, and how I discovered trilby else's Fruition immediately afterwards. It was like we'd all tuned in to the same EMC wavelength without realizing it. Fortunately, my lake monster won't be the central baddie in "Union, Reunion"; it'll just feature in a single scene. And the fact that I haven't written that scene yet gives me a chance to make sure my creature isn't too much like Lady K's...which shouldn't be hard, considering where my story is headed. Besides, there's always room in the world for another lake monster, isn't there?

But I've teased you enough. Even though the lake monster scene isn't written yet, I have finished the first chapter of "Union, Reunion" in rough draft form. I posted the first half of it on my blog back in May, but considering the pace at which the story is progressing, I think I owe you another sneak peek today. Just to keep you interested, you know. ;-) And because I've polished that first half quite a bit since posting it (including changing several names) I think it's best if I just give you the whole chapter from start to finish, right here. Maybe you can find at least one of those Easter eggs now. ;-)

1 comment:

Lady K said...

Well, you know what they say about great minds thinking alike, thrall. ;-)I'm glad you enjoyed the first two chapters of ALG.

The next chapter has been sent to Simon. It's really squicky but I guess that's to be expected when you're dealing with the spawn of a Lovecraftian lake monster. I can't wait to see what you do with yours. :)

P.S. There's always room for another Lovecraftian lake monster, my friend.