Saturday, September 20, 2008

Tolkien for MC Fetishists

I can still recall the thrill I felt back in my early teens, reading The Silmarillion for the first time and coming across the passage where Tolkien describes Morgoth (the original Big Bad of Middle-Earth, of whom Sauron was only a minion) capturing Elves and turning them into "thralls" who, for the rest of their immortal lives, were bound to his will in some frustratingly indeterminate way. I'm sorry to say that, as I read on, it became clear that Morgoth's brand of thralldom was more about intimidation than actual mind control.

Fortunately, a little further into the book, I ran across the tale of Turin (now also available in a longer version in the "new" Tolkien novel The Children of Hurin, but why should I buy that when I already own The Sil?) and the passage below. All you really need to know going in is this:

The heroine Nienor has been traveling with her mother and a bunch of soldiers in search of her brother Turin, whom she hasn't seen since she was about five. Their party is attacked by bad guys, including the dragon Glaurung, who lays a reeking fog over the whole area. And then....

"But Nienor, being thrown by her steed, yet unhurt, made her way back to Amon Ethir...and came thus above the reek into the sunlight; and looking westward she stared straight into the eyes of Glaurung, whose head lay upon the hill-top. Her will strove with his for a while, but he put forth his power, and having learned who she was he constrained her to gaze into his eyes, and he laid a spell of utter darkness and forgetfulness upon her, so that she could remember nothing that had ever befallen her, nor her own name, nor the name of any other thing; and for many days she could neither hear, nor see, nor stir by her own will. Then Glaurung left her standing upon Amon Ethir, and went back to Nargothrond."

Well, naturally, Nienor eventually regains enough of her senses to tear off all her clothes and run away naked into the woods. And naturally, Turin finds her later on, but neither recognizes the other. And naturally...well, you can probably guess. :-/ This ain't your mother's Hobbit. Anyway, here's a lovely picture of Nienor being mindwiped. If you want to see the naked followup, you're on your own. ;-)

Well, as you can imagine, that one little paragraph spawned all kinds of private fantasies in me over the years. Unfortunately, none of them are even close to publishable at this point, but I have my hopes. Any time at all, my Muse could sweep me up in Her jeweled talons and carry me away to Her deep, dark cave for a bit of draconian ravishing. I'll be sure to let you know if She does.

No comments: