Saturday, April 18, 2009

Where I am and what I've learned

Okay, first, I finally got the Audacity/VH issue sorted out to my satisfaction, although I still have some questions. I'll start this entry by telling you what I've learned, just in case anyone else out there is experimenting with these two programs and could use some advice.

1. If you're using the speech synthesizer to read your VH script, the background audio only plays in the right speaker. Therefore, your background track can't be stereo. That explains why the fine-sounding stereo experiments I created were missing a track when I played them in VH.

2. If you want to mix two or more tracks into a background track for a VH session that uses the speech synthesizer, begin with the separate tracks in .wav format, import them into Audacity, adjust the volume levels as needed, make both tracks mono, and finally export the whole thing to an mp3.

3. If you want to create an audio track of your own to replace the speech synthesizer, and you want to have stereo background tracks, it's even more complicated. You'll have to separately combine the "lead" track with each background track and export the result as a .wav; then import both new .wav's, set one for the left speaker and one for the right, and export the whole thing again as an mp3.

But enough of the tech talk. Where am I now with my sleep program? Well, last night I finally got the background track I really wanted, at the volume I wanted. Plus, I changed the visuals a bit and totally revamped the script imagery to bring it closer to what I personally experience when I go deep into trance. For me, it's like my head fills gradually with feathers that weigh down my conscious thoughts and make my whole mind feel too pleasantly full to move (You'll get more of that imagery in the Silver Robot session I'm working on, when it finally debuts).

Anyway, the end result, these last two nights, has been excellent. I've finally got the Bedtime session just about exactly where I want it. I'm very, very happy.

And now it's time to work on Silver Robot. :-)

P.S.: The woman in the photo is not me. Sorry if that bursts anyone's bubble. ;-P

No comments: