Sunday, January 4, 2009

Author Recommendation

Okay, I'll admit it: even after six years on the EMCSA, I've still missed a number of extremely worthwhile authors. I don't always have the time to check out everything that sounds interesting in every weekly update, so some very fine stories slip through my cracks. Then there's the fact that some very fine authors have only a few stories on the EMCSA, and the fact that some of those authors haven't posted anything new in a long time, since before I started checking the updates weekly. Given all that, you can see how easily I might miss the occasional jewel.

Such was the case with Lady K. She had six stories on the EMCSA, none of which I knew about, when she responded to my post on the MC Garden seeking fact checkers for my Ireland-set Ethna Redux. She gave me good advice on that one, then wrote me again later asking if I'd return the favor with a story she'd just written, An Appointment to Keep.

Well, friends, there wasn't much advice I could give on a tale that was already so sweet and tempting. It's a mood piece, delightfully mysterious, with a rather different kind of domme than we F/f writers usually dream up. I complimented Lady K on the story and told her it would make a lovely debut for her on the EMCSA...upon which she kindly pointed out that she had several other stories there already. Boy, did I feel like an idiot!

Anyway, I went back and started with The Anlorgash Incident, which she'd recommended to me specifically and which turned out to be a delightfully squicky, Lovecraftian piece with the requisite white-eyed zombies and repulsive-but-irresistible monstrosity. Yum!

After that I read four of her remaining five tales (passing only on the yellow one), and all were more than worth my time. However, the last of the Five Short Stories deserves special mention for a) giving a slimy wannabe-bimbo-maker his comeuppance and b) including a sorority girl who, very much like yours truly, doesn't yet know she's a lesbian. That one gave me a warm little glow.

So there you have it: a batch of fine jewels recovered from the cracks they'd slipped through, and another "Recommended Authors" link in my sidebar. Thanks, Lady K. :-)

No comments: