Thursday, October 7, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things: H.R. Giger, Part I of II

I'm a little late with this week's mid-week post because I've just been having so much fun collecting Giger pictures that I couldn't stop long enough to write about them.

I assume all - or at least most - of you are already familiar with German superfreak H.R. Giger, the concept artist behind Alien, an early aborted version of Dune, a number of Necronomicons, and a bunch of other creepy/sexy fetish paintings and sculptures scattered from one end of the Internet to the other. But just in case you're not familiar with him, or in case you just want to know more (and get a good laugh at the same time), allow me to point you toward this Cracked article.

I've been collecting Giger art for quite awhile but haven't thought of blogging about him - I guess because I kind of take him for granted. After all, he's as much apart of the cyber-fetish scene as Sorayama, isn't he? Fortunately, I stumbled across a few great Giger sites this week, and those led me to a few more sites; so before you know it, I was off on one of my typical OCD image chases. Results below.

For anyone who wants to follow in my footsteps, here are the best places I've found for high-quality Giger scans. This site has the biggest, clearest images, but it's a little limited in scope. This site has more images, but they're not always the best quality. This site has the most complete collection - and also features art by some other artists I've featured on my blog: Luis Royo, Boris Vallejo, and Julie Bell.

And now, on with the show. As the Cracked article so humorously points out, a hell of a lot of Giger art is about dicks. But a lot of it's about vulvas, too. The part that interests me most, though, is the intersection between human and cyborg, human and inhuman. To me, a lot of these images suggest seduction and/or mind control by supernatural or mechanical means. Those are the images that really push my buttons - and, I hope yours.



And now, unfortunately, I'm going to have to sign off for a little while and go to work. Blogger is misbehaving and refusing to upload the rest of the images I have planned, so I'll try again this evening or tomorrow morning. Stay tuned for the rest!

No comments: