Wednesday, October 20, 2010

THIS is how you do mirrored contact lenses

The (IMO) very attractive man in this picture is an Italian artist named Giuseppe Penone. I stumbled across his picture (and a few others from the same project) while doing a Google image search on "mirrored contacts."

See, this is how I picture the lenses in my mind...at least, it's how I picture the non-full-sclera kind. IMO, there shouldn't be any pupil showing at all. Unfortunately, if you cover your pupil, you can't see shit, so that's a bit of a drawback. ;-/ But Penone's an artist, so he worked the whole blindness thing in on purpose. You can read about here if you're so inclined.

As for me, I didn't care so much why he did it as how cool it looks. Plus, I'm irrationally tickled that he took this shot in 1970. You'd never know it to look at him, would you? Men's hairstyles have come right back around to what they wore in my childhood.Who'd have thought that look would ever be cool again? Certainly not me. Of course, I've even more boggled by the fact that '80's fashions are back in style. But I digress.

Back to the subject at hand. I've never understood why lensmakers can't make contacts with polarized lenses so that the whole eye would be covered but the wearer would still be able to see. After all, they can make polarized mirrored sunglasses; so why not polarized mirrored contacts? I know I must be missing something, but I don't know enough about the subject even to hazard a guess.

No comments: