Sunday, November 2, 2008

And for my next trick...

Just thought you all might like a little heads-up about my next story. Recently, a certain shadowy friend pointed me toward this old Irish legend, and it immediately set my cogwheels churning. I'm a long way from actually writing anything down yet, but I have begun the necessary research and cogitation. So while you're waiting, here's a little question to set your own gears in motion: weren't those mysterious voices that helped Ethna's husband in the legend just a wee bit too convenient?

5 comments:

alphaxanon said...

Yummmmm.... That is a nice legend full of MC goodness...

alphaxanon said...

I'm curious, did you ever read my story "Old Wives Tales" before you wrote "Spellbound"?

thrall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
thrall said...

alphaxenon, since you didn't leave me an e-mail address to write you back, I'm responding to you here. I see that you have two stories on the EMCSA as alphax. I did read "Presents" very early on and noted it as one inspiration for "Solitaire." However, I wrote "Spellbound" before I'd read enough stories to pick up any influences at all; and to the best of my memory, I've never read your "Old Wives Tales." Maybe I'll check it out later.

alphaxanon said...

Thanks for your reply! I was just curious because I'd never seen the Irish/Celtic faerie capturing humans theme that I'd used in Old Wives Tales used on EMCSA before or since. That being said, as your blog post points out, faerie whisping away humans and "timef*cking" them is a somewhat well known myth.

Great minds think alike, no? ;)