Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Art Appreciation 102

If you followed the link in last Saturday's entry to Sci Fi Wire's page of Halloween costumes, you've already seen the image at left here. The author of the article on the SFW page wondered "how she made the tail." Well, dingbat (the SFW author, not you ;-)), "she" didn't "make" the tail. This isn't a costume; it's a painting by an artist named Chio Maisriml, whose work can be found in a subsection of the Beesign website. I've been enjoying his stuff for years now. Here are just a few of my favorites:






For larger versions of these pictures and many, many more along similar lines (including one with an alienized Susan Wayland), just follow the link above. Oh, and by the way, don't be worried that the site is mostly in German; even if you don't speak the language, all you really need to know is "Galerie," which is pretty self explanatory.

Sadly, this isn't the first time a Beesign pic has been taken out of context and/or abused. The pic at left was my first introduction to this artist. I found it on some latex site or other (I'm sorry now that I didn't bookmark it because I can't find it again, and this particular pic isn't on the Beesign website) with the logo attached, just as you see here. Then I rediscovered it on the Hypnopics Collective with the logo removed, some random text added, and the asshole who posted it claiming it as his own work. I dashed off a quick, angry correction in the "comments" section; but the thing had already been up for a year by the time I got there, so I doubt anyone's dropped in on it lately to learn the truth. Oh, well. You and I know, don't we?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh heh - half a year ago or so I actually saw that comment of yours. :)