Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My First Crush

I spent my teenage years in the 1980's, crushing on the then-typical objects of pubescent lust like Scott Baio and Simon LeBon. But my pre-pubescent years were the 1970's, and looking back on it now, I realize that my real first crush was one of the members of the New Mickey Mouse Club, Nita. At the time, I just knew I liked her, maybe thought I'd like to be friends with her. But knowing what I know now, I realize that this was my very first case of falling for the black-haired, olive-skinned type of female I appreciate so much today.

Recently, while idly surfing the 'net, I stumbled across a reference to the New Mickey Mouse Club; and that prompted me to do a bit of more intentional searching. There are a few pictures and videos of Nita online, which I've decided not to link to here because of the kind of blog this is. I don't want to encourage any passing pedophiles, on every one of whom, male and female, I wish the same fate as Jeff Kohlver in Hard Candy.

As for Nita, she really was very cute; I can see why I liked her. In fact, I believe I had better taste before I hit puberty than after - and I'm not just saying that because after puberty I was crushing on guys. Scott Baio and Simon LeBon really were very good looking back then, though I must say that neither of them has aged particularly well. But I also had crushes on some B- to Z-list actors whom I look back on now and wonder what the hell I was thinking. I guess I just had my head up my ass for awhile there. Then again, I suppose we all do, as teens.

Anyway, here's to Nita. I hope she has a happy life and didn't get too badly chewed up by the Hollywood machine.

No comments: