Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Peek Beneath the Duct Tape: Solitaire

But first, some good news for those of you who were reluctant to download those RTF previews of Willing Subject and What Do You Give the Man Who Has Everything?: the updates are now online. Unfortunately, it's going to be another week before Simon can post "A Tenpack of Trixies," so you're stuck with the RTF files on that one a little longer.

At the same time I send Simon the five Trixie chapters, I also plan to send him a new tweak on Solitaire; but I must admit that when I looked it over again recently, I only felt the need to change a handful of words. My Muse and I were really going at it hot and heavy that day in a way I've only experienced once before - and that wasn't in writing erotica (though it did involve some MC - tease, tease). I came up with the idea for "Solitaire" one morning (probably after spending a long time the previous night really playing it), sat down to write that afternoon, and had the whole piece finished before sundown. You might say, continuing the Greek goddess analogy, that it sprang full-blown from my head onto the screen.

Of course, I was influenced by several other stories in writing this one, including one by a writer sadly no longer active on the EMCSA. Thank goodness for the Wayback Machine - and thank goodness Sara H herself has returned, even if she's not quite up to writing yet. Sara, if you're reading this, here's a virtual hug and a genuine "Glad to have you back." EDIT: Sara is fully back now, stories and all. You can find "Hiss" on the EMCSA here.

Anyway, at the time I wrote "Solitaire," I was still reveling in the newness of finding a fetish home on the web and reading everything I could get my greedy little eyeballs on. I also really was playing a lot of Solitaire and Freecell while writing as a sort of cybernetic alternative to tapping a pencil against my teeth in thought. Such simple games, but they really do suck you in - and zone you out. It really is true, as I say in the story, that we can fall into a low-grade trance while focusing on a simple task; it's happened to me countless times, especially with computer games. It's like that demanding king who follows you with his eyes (in Freecell, actually, not Solitaire) really does force you to keep playing game after game after game. I used to love that feeling of half wanting to stop and not quite being able to pull myself away from the screen.

But of course, my favorite part of the story is the latter half, when the narrator is transformed into a mindless, shiny black robot with a number (and not even a unique one, at that) where her face used to be. I've always been fascinated with the idea of depersonalization...okay, well, I've always been extremely turned on by the idea of depersonalization. Taking everything that makes a human being an individual, right down to her/his face and fingerprints, and erasing it completely - that, to me, is the hottest aspect of mind control. Adding a slick, black layer of fetishy goodness is really just icing on the cake; but such yummy icing it is.

Then there's the bit about the mouse - the whole reason (as if you couldn't guess) I added a "Don't try this at home" warning at the top of the story. It seems ridiculous to think I'd have to issue a warning about something as obvious as that, but there's a reason gas stations have signs advising people not to suction gas with their mouths, and that a milk carton I saw once in Wales (Hi, sc ;-)) bore a label saying, "Warning: contains milk." Some people are just stupid enough to need such warnings, and I will accept no responsibility for anyone who ends up in some emergency room somewhere with a computer mouse jammed inside an orifice not designed to handle it. But I do still think it's a cool idea. The female anatomy just makes such a perfect computer port, doesn't it?

No comments: