Sunday, October 19, 2008

Warning: political rant ahead

Sorry, but I just have to make my voice heard somewhere, and it most certainly won't be heard in my home state.

I just got one of those "political poll" phone calls. You know, the kind that at first just seems to be gathering opinions and then starts asking increasingly leading questions that are meant to make you think one guy's better than the other guy. I cut her off at the pass the moment she started down that road, and she quickly retreated back to the more neutral questions, but I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth.

And the worst part is, when she started homing in on the two candidates running for local congressional seats, I realized much to my embarrassment that I didn't know a thing about either of them, not even which was the Democrat and which was the Republican. In a way, I feel ashamed of myself; but in another way, I almost feel justified, because in a state so overwhelmingly tilted toward one party, people of the other party just don't have much of a voice. They try, but they're constantly shouted down, even preached against from area pulpits. Hell, my state is one of those that voted (by a frighteningly large margin) to write discrimination against people like me right into the constitution. Why should I, where I am, have any hope of making a difference on election day? Oh, I'll vote, I'll vote - but the congressman I'll vote for won't stand a chance; and my vote for president will be bundled up with all the others in the state and given to the guy I didn't vote for.

Sometimes this system sucks. I just don't know of a better one.

No comments: